Sunday, February 3, 2013

Things I Hate About Dorming

**WARNING: this is a long and rambling rant, proceed with caution**

I love the school that I go to, but the one thing that I'm not a huge fan of is dorming. Truthfully, it is particularly my dorm that I do not like, other ones (that I've seen are ok). Here are some things that I just cannot stand about the dorm that I live in.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure we have the smallest rooms on campus. When I first moved in I had to rearrange the room for hours to get all of the furniture to fit in the room. The my room layout after all the rearranging was tight and uncomfortable. I'd have to ask my room mate to move when she was working at her desk and I needed to get out of the room. This was inconvenient for both of us. We decided to loft our beds (a lofted bed is like a bunk bed but there is no bed on the bottom, so it's just a really high bed). Since we did this we could put our desks and drawers under our bed and it opened up a lot of space, but now it makes getting out of bed even harder because i have to climb off my bed rather than just rolling out. Over all it was the better choice for our room but I wish the room was bigger so we wouldn't needed to have loft the beds. *Side note if you are interested in lofting your bed contact your maintenance department at school and ask for a loft.

Second, around 75% of my hall smokes weed, I am not one of them (<-- that doesn't bother me). What bothers me is that since we are a one- floor building they drag the smell into the building and for the whole night our hallway smells like weed. I am not a huge fan of the smell of weed.

Third, there is something wrong with our showers. The only way to take a semi- warm shower in my dorm is to have both showers running at the same time. But this isn't ideal if you are trying to conserve water. You might get lucky and someone come in to use the bathroom and flush a toilet and you get 3.5 seconds of nice hot water, or you may just have to suffer a cold shower.

Fourth, the walls of my dorm are paper thin. You can hear the hand dryers in the bathroom from both sides of the hall. Also people can be talking at one end of the hall in a perfectly normal voice (but my floor mates tend to be louder than normal) and you can hear it very loudly and clearly in your room no matter where you are in the hallway. Another thing is my floor mates like to blast music with the bass on as high as it can go. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy loud music and a thumpin' bass, but I find it quite rude that they do this when other people in the hall have homework. Even during finals week they wouldn't turn down the music!

Lastly fifth, the washer and dryer situation. There are around 60 students in the whole building and we have 2 washers and 2 dryers. Today, my damp clothes sat in the washer for 2 hours because someone didn't get their clothes out of the dryer for 2 hours. I understand that it isn't really the washer/ dryers fault. As it turns out it was one girl using 2 dryers which is why one didn't open up.

Sorry, I just had this on my mind and it needed to be on the internet before I could move on with my life. I know it's a little long-winded and I probably sound kinda snobby but I promise I'm usually very bubbly and happy, this has just be festering in the back of my mind for a while now.

Thanks for reading!

Until next time-- Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment